Thursday 14 July 2016

WTC is drawing near.


The WTC planning is in full swing, last week the flights and hotel were booked for the Thursday night in Amsterdam.
If you are travelling for the WTC and want to hang out with the majority of Team Ireland on the Thursday, let me know so we can do that!
  
I played a couple of games recently, I was hoping to get in one more on Saturday but I helped run a Battlebox game instead, who knew they took 3 hours.
  
My full 75pt game I got was against Legion, I wanted to try out a Siege list:
(Brisbane 1) Major Markus "Siege" Brisbane
 - Defender
 - Charger
 - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator
Journeyman Warcaster
 - Charger
Storm Lances (max)
Tempest Blazers (max)
Rangers
Gun Mage Captain Adept
Captain Maxwell Finn

Pete was plying Lylyth1:
(Lylyth 1) Lylyth, Herald of Everblight
 - Naga Nightlurker
 - Nephilim Bolt Thrower
 - Ravagore
Blighted Nyss Raptors (max)
Grotesque Assassin
Grotesque Assassin
Strider Deathstalker
Strider Deathstalker
Grotesque Banshees (max)
Blackfrost Shard
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew
Annyssa Ryvaal
Blighted Nyss Shepherd


I ended up going second, choosing the side with a hill and trench.

Pete Ran everything up

I moved up and got in a foxhole, using a couple of Rangers to help shoot two Raptors with Siege and the Defender.



Pete took some shots and killed all but two of the rangers and was able to clear out 3 of the Lances with a combination of shots. He also jammed his Raptors into my Siege bunker

I attempted to use Finn to clear out the two Raptors that were near Siege and the two Chargers but he couldn't hit anything. I had to use a Storm Lance and Jr to clear them out.
I moved forward, dropping the foxhole and feated, able to take some good shots into his beasts but I missed the first ground pounder on the Ravagore meaning that I had to use my reload shot on it.
I managed to Kill the Bolt thrower and put some serious hurt onto the Ravagore with my Charger shots.
The Ranger leader also failed to hit the Raptor engaging the Defender and Neither Jr or the Gun Mage Captain Adept could remove it, then the Defender missed its boosted attack roll as well.



Pete then feated and was able to parasite Siege and his remaining army killed him.



Assassination Loss

Thoughts:
I probably shouldn’t have got so greedy with the feat or just held it and shot normally, it probably would have been okay once the Raptors were dead.
Being unable to clear out the Raptors jamming was annoying and I ended up having to use a lot of resources to do so.
Gunfighter Grotesques that are SPD 7 are pretty good, Stealth and Force Barrier really helps them.
I'd like to try this list a few more times and see how it goes.

A couple of days later I'd arranged another game against a fellow Dan who was playing Khador.
I dropped Caine2:
(Caine 2) Captain Allister Caine
 - Defender
 - Hunter
 - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator
Storm Lances (max)
Stormblade Infantry
 - Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
 - Captain Jonas Murdoch
 Journeyman Warcaster
 - Charger
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord

And he selected Sorscha1:
(Sorscha 1) Kommander Sorscha
 - Behemoth
 - Juggernaut
 - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator
Winter Guard Mortar Crew
Winter Guard Rifle Corps (max)
 - Winter Guard Rocketeer (3)
Widowmaker Scouts
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich
Widowmaker Marksman
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
 - Koldun Kapitan Valachev
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
Kell Bailoch

Dan opted to go first so I selected the side with a hill.



Turn 1 he rolled a hard 11 on a widowmaker and managed to cripple the Hunters gun arm.
The rest of his force pushed up.

I moved Eyriss up to Disrupt behemoth, tried to get the hunter to shoot the mortar from the hill but he missed with his crippled arm.
The Lances ran up as did the Blades who got Arcane shield. Caine hid in a little objective/defender/charger bunker with Heightened Reflexes on.



Dan took some Widowmaker shots, removing two Lances. He then went for a freezing grip on them with Sorscha but missed and then wind rushed back.
Kell killed two Blades and the Riflemen did a couple of CRAs to kill one more and tough another (I just realised Iron Zeal stops Knockdown). The rockets all try and Blast Damage Eyriss, fail to do that but Kill another Storm Lance.

Looking at the board I can see Sorscha is within 4" of both Dan's objective and Behemoth and both are within Caines walk/shoot range.
I concoct a plan to Kiss Behemoth with Aiyana and then feat with Caine and bounce shots onto Sorscha as well.
I move up with Aiyana and 1,1 the Kiss roll so I change plans and go all in on Sorscha.
Caine gets reloaded, moves up and doesn’t feat.
He shoots the objective and trick shots onto Sorscha, does this 7 times and after that she is dead with 2 shots let.


Assassination Win

Thoughts:
Heightened Reflexes sort of protects Caine from being casually assassinated but it’s not great having to keep it on him.
I think Sorschas list is pretty advantaged into my poor squishy Storm blades as he has 8 Sniper shots a turn and the Rockets are great at killing Storm Lances, especially with the Joe boost.
The Caine list probably wants clouds, and I'm very tempted to drop the bloaty support (Eiryss and Aiyana and Holt and Jonas) to bring in some trenchers for the clouds.

(Caine 2) Captain Allister Caine
 - Defender
 - Hunter
 - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator
Journeyman Warcaster
 - Firefly
Stormblade Infantry
 - Stormblade Infantry Storm Gunner x2
 - Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard
Storm Lances (max)
Trencher Infantry (min)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord
Captain Maxwell Finn

I need to get my hands on a Firefly, I'm waiting on the Battlebox to be available to me.
Finn is flexible, he could be a couple of Rifle Grenades and 1 more Storm Gunner but he's pretty good and I'm willing to give him another chance.
He could even be the max Trenchers, this is all a bit flexible and just needs testing.


This weekend we are having an Irish WTC Team practice up in Dublin, I think I'm going to bring the above Caine2 and Haley2.
Caine doesn't end up doing as much heavy lifting but he is hopefully more survivable and his army should make it into combat without getting completely shot to pieces.
Haley is there for the Madrak2, Butcher3 and other bricks.

I'll see how that goes.




No comments:

Post a Comment