Thursday 16 June 2016

Mk3, Swanning around.

It’s been a while.

Last time I made a post I was all aboard the Cryx train, playing games in preparation for the WTC 2016.
Then Life got in the way, my last post was November, in December I was made redundant then I had to go look for a new job.
Before that, Christmas.

Fast forward a while and Mk3 is announced, zip forward again and there are some spoilers and leaks that come out of PP and I'm drawn back into the lightning shrouded fold.

That’s right, back with the Swans again after my brief hiatus, one glance at the Caine2 card was all it took and I was sucked straight back in.
So then we end up with now.

The core rules came out on Sunday and are free for everyone:

And there is a useful thread on the forums for all the changes:

And finally there is a web based list builder that’s pretty awesome:

With the new edition comes a new War Room (War Room 2) and all the cards. It seems that the spoilers that were floating around the internet a couple of weeks prior to the official release at Lock & Load were legitimate and the War Room has verified this.

So I have downloaded the new War Room and started to build Cygnar lists again.

One of the reasons I picked Cygnar initially over the other factions was robots, now I'm going to tell you a little story about it.
I was playing a lot of 40k at the time and two of my friends just took voluntary redundancy from their jobs and they picked up the 2 player Battlebox.
So we had a Menoth and Khador, I went into the local shop and had a look what was on offer, the then girlfriend selected Cryx, so I was left with Apple Inc looking Robots or Cygnar.
So Cygnar it was (I wasn’t aware of Hordes at this time or I just looked at them and decided to blank them from my mind)I guess there was simply something about the robots that called to me.

So back onto the stompy robots, with Mk3, you are actively encouraged to take more robots, Battlegroups have got larger (due to an increase in Warjack Points).
The point values have doubled over most of the game, with a few minor changes meaning more granularity. And the ‘standard’ size is now 75pts.

One of the biggest things to encourage the use of Warjacks is the new Power Up Rule. When a Warjack is in the Casters Control Range during the Control Phase it automatically gains a focus. This means you are no longer so strapped for resources and jacks can at least contribute when you can't afford to allocate anything.

Saturday coming will be the first few games of Mk3, with the full rules, that I will be able to play and I am excited to use my Robots.

I'm very excited about a list that involves 3 Stormclads, now I already have an old metal one that I took to the WTC last year and has been a staple in some lists. I also picked up the new Reliant/Stormclad hard plastic kit when that came out and I have finished painting it.
Stormclad
Reliant

Deciding that 2 wasn't enough I set about turning another Ironclad Chassis that I had lying around into a 3rd Stormclad, most of the credit should go to Pat Dunford (Yay Pat) who donated the chassis when he left to England (Boo Pat). He'd already added a few extra bits of armour plating so I kept them. I figured that the Stormclad has 3 defining features, Banner, Buckler and Sword so I set about making these. The banner was easy, stolen from a box of Tactical Marines. The Buckler was a Lancer shield cut up and rounded off with some sandpaper. The Sword was the hardest part, I took a spare Stormblade Captain sword and added on two blades from Grey Knight Halberds and used the shaft from a Lancers spear, the pommel came from the Reliant Kit, intended for the top of the banner. I then tried a bit of Green stuff to round off the ends of the blades into the hilt and it was done!



I'm going to try and paint this one as a really old Proto-Clad that has been repaired and fixed up with different parts whilst being out fighting on the front.

Comparison
 So its off to play Mk3 on Saturday and hopefully I’ll have the reports and some pictures up for you to look at.

I'll try to keep the blog updated in the build up to the WTC as well as showing off some modelling projects etc, if I have time.


Get HYPED!

No comments:

Post a Comment